Thursday, March 06, 2008

Where's Your Head At?

Mine really ought to be resting peacefully on my heeug pilla, but alas my brain had other plans. Another sleepless night- the first in a long while thankfully, but still not something I've been looking forward to. It took a couple hours of tossing and turning, but I've resigned myself to consciousness for now. At least I can be productive and whine to the internet! It's great living in the future.

In more pertinent news, work on the demo CD continues! Fourteen blank CD-Rs with the previously discussed cover art arrived in the mail from my dear brother Eric on Monday, and I spent most of tonight (after Project Runway of course) tweaking and adjusting two of the four tracks that'll ultimately represent me to the world ("It's Come To This" and "Forever And Never Again" if you're curious). Didn't make any major changes, just fixed a couple of nagging issues that I've noticed since their initial release. I've burned a test CD-RW of the final final (final) four, and assuming a couple run-throughs at work tomorrow don't reveal anything terrible I'll have the first batch in the mail first thing Friday! This is a big step for me, and I'm really excited to finally be taking it. I'll finally be able to say I tried.

Really though, this whole label submission thing might be going the way of the dodo sooner than I'd expected if this is any indication:

If Trent Reznor wasn't already your idol for his limitless musical brilliance, now we can all admire him for his cutting edge musical humanism. Five dollars for all 36 tracks in FLAC format? Ten bucks for the double CD? Releasing it all under a creative commons license? I'm in awe of you (still), Mr. Reznor. Best artist ever.

But enough about people with real accomplishments- back to me! I'm still pretty close to done on the next track, so keep an ear to the ground. The demo takes precedence for now, but under the current schedule it shouldn't be taking up my time for much longer. And writing music's certainly a hell of a lot more fun than promoting it! Anyone want to be my manager?

Until next time, then: goodnight moon...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

15% sound good?

D. said...

JB, its wonderful for artists like Radiohead, or NIN to be "humanistic", but they can afford to be. As far as I can tell about their collective finances is that they can more or less retire. The have a pretty thriving fan base and any money they make off of album sales is more or less pure profit for them, once they've paid off their overhead, which for online distro is minimal. I think its great, and their fans love them for it, but I hardly think these artists are as noble as the hipe makes them appear.

John Brian said...

MauMau- I mostly agree with you on the immediate viability of the Radiohead/NIN/etc approach as it concerns smaller artists, however; the thing that keeps me in their camp regardless is just how new and different their approach is as compared to what we're used to seeing. I'm thinking Metallica shit-talking fans during the napster days, Gene Simmons shit-talking fans always, etc, etc. I just find it really refreshing to see major bands take risks that benefit both themselves AND music consumers. That's something we can all get behind.

D. said...

Yea, that I agree with. Ultimately I've found that I do this for my own satisfaction. Writing/ playing/ recording is really fun and rewarding. I like the idea of giving stuff away and figuring out the rest later. So yea, its pretty cool that these artists are trying to bend the conventional model.