Saturday, September 08, 2007

About F'in time!

It's New Track Saturday!

This one has been a long time coming. Scheduling constraints played a role, but the truth of the matter is that I struggled with this song for longer than I'd like to admit. There were endless variations, endless thematic adjustments, endless arrangements, to the extent that I really started to feel kind of hopeless that it would ever be finished. It was definitely tough going for a while there.

Ironically it ended up being the "things keeping me from my music" that ultimately brought back the creative spark that I needed to wrap this one up. Coming back to it after a few weeks, the problems I was having seemed less impenetrable, and things started getting wrapped up faster than I could have hoped. I think I always knew, but it bears repeating: sometimes a break can do you good.

So here it is, as finished as it's going to get for now. Logistically this is the most ambitious song I've ever worked on, involving about forty-five tracks, recorded guitar and voice and God knows what else. It's a long one at just over ten minutes, but I don't consider any part of it dispensable. For better or worse, I'm glad to have finished it, and I'm looking forward to starting with a clean slate again. Catharsis, anyone?

Enough talk, then- have a listen:

Process of Illumination

JB, out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

väry niiice....(but i don't know where the vocals are...) i dont think this one needs them though. talk to you soon

John Brian said...

Thanks, Kora!

When I said "recorded voice" I didn't really mean vocals in the traditional sense- there is a significant amount of my voice in the song, but it's all been processed and used in an instrumental way.

Example: the sounds that come in at around 1:23, and again at 1:36 are both heavily processed versions of my voice. Can you find the others?

Unknown said...

I've listened to it twice--couldn't tell there were voice samples

Kyle said...

for all your difficulties in finding an artist name, your song naming abilities are formidable (A Collected Man and South Without a Candle are especially briliant)

Anonymous said...

Hot Shit, Hermano!
I still contend that you're destined to do some fine soundtrack work. But that's just my reflex triggered movie brain. Musically, there are of course broader horizons laid out before you. Wish I could offer up a project for you to dig your claws into. I like the balance of obvious technical skill and emotionality. Remember that criticism I had (that has slipped away) that you should infuse your music with more soul? It appears you're opening up some personal vaults and dumping them into the music. Way to go, bro, way to go.