Monday, May 14, 2007

Brain Dump

I mentioned Trentemoller a while back in a post on inspiration- well, in addition to the great album that prompted that little outpouring of admiration, the guy's got a new video for his remix of the track "Moan" - and it really needs to be seen. Or at the very least heard; the video itself is appropriately heart-wrenching given the subject matter, but it's really the song that keeps bringing me back- it's just such top-notch production. In particular, the first half (before it moves into Dutch intensity mode) is basically flawless as far as I'm concerned. The mix is totally uncluttered, nothing feels extraneous, and it's got a perfect ebb and flow as the intensity builds over the course of the track. Not to mention a perfect use of vocals and some subtle glitch effects. But don't just take my word for it:

Trentemoller - Moan remix

I was going to write a big, rambling diatribe about how this proves that tech house is the "good" house music, but really: who the hell am I to say something like that? What I will say is that Trentemoller has added himself to my very short list of thought-provoking musicians in the genre, along with Swayzak and... well, Swayzak. Wow, does that even qualify as a list? I knew those pint-sized PostIts had to be good for something!

Calling all more-knowledgable readers: can you recommend more good stuff in this vein? I'm looking at you Michael...

3 comments:

Sowmya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You should definitely listen to Etienne de Crecy's album "Tempovision" if you haven't already. I really like this compilation called "Inhouse vol. 3: Modern House Sounds from Deepest Germany". There's another one called "Lost on Arrival" which has some Trentemoller stuff on it, it's great but it's a bit more on the dance-y side. I also think you'll like I:Cube. Let me know if you need any help "obtaining" any of these.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Matthew Dear. He has a new album coming out in a couple weeks which I think is going to be really good.