Friday, December 02, 2011

Vestax VCI-400 Hacking + Demo

I've recently been brought on as a contributor to the live electronic music / instrument hacking blog Controllerism.com. My first contribution to the site (apart from reposts of the interviews I conducted for BenevolentBeats.org) is an in-depth "remap and hack" of the upcoming Vestax VCI-400 controller, a DJ-centric (or is it?) all-in-one MIDI controller and audio interface.

I adapted a number of the Max for Live patches I've developed over the past couple of years to this new controller, and remapped most of the default controls to suit my performance style. Here's the short version of a fourteen minute performance I filmed using the new setup:



Click the leading or trailing links in the video to watch a walkthrough of the setup or to see the full-length performance, and don't forget to check out the full article on Controllerism.com where I'll be posting all the patches and templates I created for these videos very soon.

3 comments:

M_ntek said...

Hi,
planning to get one of those vestax just because of your hack.
Is there any chance you give me a quick hint when you ll upload all that wonderful M4L-magic?
Thank you for sharing!
Best regards,
Paul

John Brian said...

Hey Paul,

Sorry for the delay in getting things uploaded- life went a bit nuts around the holidays, as it tends to do.

I'll have them posted here and on controllerism.com within the next two weeks.

Cheers!
JB

M_ntek said...

Hi,
well yea, know that pain.
I patiently wait for it.
Cheers to you,
Paul