Sunday, July 26, 2009

Mixing Lessons

In the process of getting acoustics handled in my newer (by the way, don't you hate that term? It's like rental apartment code for "not new at all") studio room, I went back to the impeccably written manual for my beloved Mackie HR824s to figure out which settings would best help tame the Beast of Boomy Bass, and there found this bit of sage advice:

It's a real rush to mix really loud. But remember that the resulting mix only sounds good when you play it at least that loud. However strange it may sound, mixes made at lower levels sound even better when played loud; perhaps even a bit bigger than life.

Get that sound level meter out. Decide what level you're going to mix at and use the meter to help keep your mixing at that level. Your ears will thank you, and your mixes will be better for it.

I have a definite tendency to monitor loud, and this is yet another reason I need to kick that habit (the first being the longevity of my ears, of course).

Thanks, Mackie!

2 comments:

houlette said...

Actually, since the ear is not equally sensitive to all frequencies, a mix that sounds great at low volumes may well not scale to a louder volume. At least, I've always found that to be the case. Very frustrating!

Kyle said...

I always liked how the LOUD button on car stereos is only good for quiet music